[SOLVED] First Installation, cannot connect via web browser

SEANAP

Nov 28, 2016
Hello,

This is my first time using Proxmox 4.3 (and linux for that matter) and I am having difficulty connecting to the server at https://10.0.0.14:8006/ , I am using Chrome on a windows PC on the same network and it gives me the err_connection_refused. I can ping Proxmox from my windows pc just fine.

This is being installed on a Intel S2600CP2, dual Xeon E5-2670, that has a 160GB HDD plugged into the onboard SATA. I used a usb drive to install proxmox to the HDD. I am able to boot into proxmox but when it tells me to use https://10.0.0.14:8006 to configure, I can't get that to work.

When installing Proxmox, I logged into my router and saw the server at 10.0.0.14, so that is the IP I configured during proxmox installation (is that what I am supposed to do, or should I give it a unique ip?). Also, it was asking for a hostname, which I put as pve.mydomain.net, but I don't have AD DC set up, do I need to have a domain?

I have forwarded the port 8006 on my router, and added inbound and outbound windows firewall rules for port 8006. I have cleared my browser cache and cookies, and tried IE, but nothing has worked.

I have noticed some permissions issues and I have set permissions to 777 for /var/log/daemon.log and /var/log/pveproxy/access.log I also noticed that /ect/hosts access was denied, so I gave that permission too and after that I was able to open that up and see the 10.0.0.14 ip

This could very well be a SSL issue as well. I have never used SSL before (apart from going to https websites) so I'm not too sure how to troubleshoot if this is an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can provide any outputs if you need to see something in more depth.

Last edited:
When you say you saw the server at 10.0.0.14 was that from DHCP assignment? i have yet to setup external access to my nodes but if you are on the same network that should not be required. Also have a look at what is show for an ip address by the node either by looking at the /etc/networking/interfaces or my doing ip addr show.

The 10.0.0.14 ip came from when I logged into my router and went to "Attached devices" and it listed a table for all devices that are wired. There are only two, one is my windows desktop, and the other is the new server.
Code:
ip addr show
has two entries
Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo

2: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
inet 10.0.0.14/24 brd 10.0.0.255 scope global vmbr0

Typing
Code:
/etc/networking/interfaces
returns
Code:
-bash: /etc/networking/interfaces: No such file or directory

try nano /etc/network/interfaces from the shell. Mine reads as follows (i did not include the other adapters i have installed):

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.25.13.31
netmask 255.255.252.0
gateway 10.25.13.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Also have you tried another browser such as Firefox to see if it gives you the same error?

Also have you tried another browser such as Firefox to see if it gives you the same error?

Firefox says it is unable to connect, which is a little bit different than Chrome's "err_connection_refused".

Code:
nano /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.0.0.14
netmask 255.255.252.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I keep watching all these videos on youtube and it seems like it should just work, not sure what I did wrong. I have reinstalled Proxmox 6 times, trying out different network configurations, but it only made it worse. Here is what I put for the network config:
  • Hostname: proxmox.local
  • IP: 10.0.0.14
  • netmask: 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway: 10.0.0.1
  • DNS Server: 10.0.0.1

What is the best way to check if it is a permissions issue, or check to verify all the packages were installed?

Last edited:
The netmask is wrong ;)

Thanks, would you mind expanding on how it is wrong? Sorry for the dumb question. I see that the netmask that I configured was 255.255.255.0 , and the netmask from the output of nano /etc/network/interfaces is 255.255.252.0

I went ahead and reinstalled with the following, but it still isn't working
  • Hostname: proxmox.local
  • IP: 10.0.0.14
  • netmask: 255.255.252.0
  • Gateway: 10.0.0.1
  • DNS Server: 10.0.0.1

New output of /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.0.0.14
netmask 255.255.252.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Also, everytime I install I get these errors:
Code:
Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...
and
Code:
[status] notice: RRDC update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve: -1

pve rrdcached[1478]: queue_thread_main: rrd_update_r (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm) failed with status -1. (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pvee/local-lvm: illegal attempt to update using time 1480436711 when last update time is 1480436717 (minimum one second step))
and
Code:
i8042.c: Can't read CTR while initializing i8042
The last one makes sense because I don't have a ps/2 keyboard or mouse

On my windows pc when I run a ipconfig /all it says that my subnet is 255.255.255.0, and the DNS server iis 10.0.0.1 However, if I log on to my router and look at the "Internet Port" information it shows my subnet as 255.255.252.0 and the DNS server as 192.168.1.254 . I have tried both configurations when installing proxmox but the web interface still doesn't work.

Last edited:
The .252. looks like a typo to me.

The pcspkr thing is unrelated...
Just set /etc/network/interfaces to

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
  address 10.0.0.14
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 10.0.0.1
  bridge_ports eth0
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0

That did it! Thank you so much! I am unsure how the netmask was set to 252 (thats not what I put in when installing), but doing a
Code:
and editing the netmask to 255 then a restart solved the issue.

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your previous posts and solution.

A solution I came to was ensuring that my server machine was hardwired directly into the router. I was using a lan splitter and my router was having issues configuring for the Proxmox server machine's, ip address.

I hope this helps some one else who has a similar issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!