Firewall Setup

sandyd

Aug 19, 2012
I am currently running a Proxmox 2.0 configuration on a single server. My hardware firewall is currently on backorder, and has still not arrived, so I am taking the time to examine the ports that need to be protected.

Currently, there are two Interfaces, vmbr0 and vmbr1, and they are setup like this.

vmbr0: WAN
- ClearOS Firewall which binds a number of public IP Addresses

vmbr1: Internal LAN
- ClearOS Firewall, which all applications are piped through courtesy of dhcp.
- VM1
- VM2
- etc

The weird thing is that when running netstat on the proxmox host, I have noticed lots of entries like
Code:
*:mysql
*:http

Does this mean that all these listeners are gloming onto all the IPs on the proxmox host?
I have already restricted the main proxmox IP, only allowing the web interface and VNC ports through - is that enough, or should I be worried about listeners randomly gloming onto other IP addresses that are attached to vmbr0?

The host runs a combination of KVM and OpenVZ VMs

Last edited:
Remember that bridging to vmbr0 isn't the same as binding an address to it. So, the IPs of your VMs are not 'listenable' to the proxmox host.

If I were you, I would just restrict all access to the IPs bound to the proxmox host (as opposed to specific ports), allowing access only from specific places or via VPN.

For example, in order for live migration to work, root ssh must be allowed, so even leaving ssh exposed is a bad idea.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!