Firewall setup that should be simple.

WillGFC

Oct 4, 2020
Hello.

I am currently in the process of getting Proxmox up and running to host a VM server to replace my ancient Atom based file/plex/deluge/nextcloud server.

I have proxmox up and running ok and a few bits and pieces set up on the VM to host my new server, but I'm having a few issues related to the firewall that I think are related to what PVE is doing over and above what appears in the Dataceneter firewall settings.

To begin with, I enabled the firewall on my host and in the VM (as well as on its network interface) and finally (after ssh-ing into the host in case things went pear shaped) in the datacenter.

Initially, nothing really seemed to have changed.

I can still web browse to the UI (which I DON'T think should be possible, more on that in a minute) and can still ssh in to the host with a new session.

I then discovered that it had changed something. I can no longer ssh to the VM, nor can I ping either the VM or the host.

No problem, I thought. I can add my desktop PC to the firewall to allow it access to everything, but I've just hit a brick wall.

My Proxmox machine is currently on a different subnet (behind a Mikrotik Map which is connected to my main wifi, I don't have a hard wired connection though will be running in cabling soon)
It's just set up as a straight bridge on the access point, and communications are absolutely fine with the PVE firewall disabled so I don't think that particular setup has anything to do with the issues I'm having. The reason I've done it that way instead of just assigning PVE to the same subnet is so I can make sure I can enable access for whatever remote IPs I want before everything is live.

The issue I'm facing is that when I try to enable a firewall rule for my desktop pc, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

As I said above, strangely, I can still browse to the web ui and ssh in to the host, despite my desktop being on a 10.10.10.0/23 subnet while the PVE host is on 10.10.20.0/24 subnet, but I can't ping or ssh to the VM, nor can I ping the host.

I also wanted to disable access to the web ui for everything except the specific machines I was going to use, but dropping or rejecting port 8006 even at the bottom of a list that has an accept rul for 10.10.10.15 (my desktop) just completely blocks the web ui for everything.

I have also attempted to block access to a different specific IP address (namely my phone) again as a test but even this has no effect. Even with my phone's IP address blocked with a reject rule, I can still browse to the web ui.

I'm no networking expert, but I've been using IP Tables for years (usually set up via Mikrotik's routeros) and have never had to delve too much into it as it generally just works, but there's obviously something I'm doing wrong here.

Here is my /etc/firewall/cluster.fw file.

As you can see, there's not much in there. Essentially I first want to enable free access for my desktop PC before I start locking things down so I'm sure I'll be able to fix things if something doesn't work.

[OPTIONS] enable: 0 policy_in: REJECT [IPSET local-net] # Local 10.10.10.0/23 [IPSET remote-vpn-net] # Remote 10.8.0.0/24 [RULES] IN REJECT -source 10.10.10.45 -log nolog IN ACCEPT -source 10.10.10.15 -log nolog |IN DROP -p udp -dport 8006 -log nolog |IN DROP -p tcp -dport 8006 -log nolog

Ok, so I've half solved my problem.

The reason I could access the web ui and my rules weren't being followed is that my access point was masquerading all traffic coming from my main wifi network to have its own IP address on the 10.10.20.0 range.

Having resolved that, I'm still left with one small query.

I was under the impression that modifications to the cluster firewall config propagated down to the VM level.

When I allow/block access at the cluster level, it is now working as expected at node level, blocking or allowing ssh/web ui access depending on the rules.

But at VM level (I only have one running at present, but its own firewall is disabled so all traffic is solely being controlled by the PVE firewall on the node) it isn't obeying any of the rules set up in the cluster firewall - I have to block or allow access on the VM's own firewall page on the web ui.

Is this normal or is there something I've missed?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!