Firewall Set up using Pfsense

Proxgbola

Mar 1, 2024
Please how can i configure my network so that my vms will use pfsense as firewalls . i want to install the pfsense as a vm on proxmox. Thanks so much for the assistance. attached is my network page screen

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 7.59.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 7.59.52 AM.png
    865.6 KB · Views: 9
Please use the google or the forums search function. This got discussed 1000 times.

Short overview:
Two NICs, one for WAN, one for LAN. Each NIC connected to a bridge. Firewall VM gets a virtio NIC on both bridges. Each other VM gets a virtio NIC on the LAN bridge. PVE host gets no gateway and no IP on the WAN bridge but both on the LAN bridge with the gateway pointing to the LAN IP of the Firewall VM.
For additional security, you could also create multiple DMZ bridges that are not connected to a physical NIC but having a virtio NIC of the Firewall VM and those other VMs/LXCs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!