Firewall ipfilter

JustDanMan

Sep 5, 2014
Hello!

First sorry for my broken english, I hope you understand me :)
I have tested the new firewall in Proxmox. There is a feature named "ipfilter". When I add a IP address to this ip-set then the firewall block outgoing traffic from all other ips. (I can just generate outgoing traffic from IPs in the ip-set) So but now the problem: Incomming traffic works from IP there aren't in the ip-set, too. I must set the input policy to DROP and create a rule "IN ACCEPT destination --> +ip-filter-net0" Is this so intentional? In my opinion this group shall drop incoming and outgoing traffic from all IPs there aren't in the ip-set.

Thanks!

Daniel

Last edited:
Hi, the current code is

if ($direction eq 'OUT') {
if ($ipfilter_ipset) {
ruleset_addrule($ruleset, $chain, "-m set ! --match-set $ipfilter_ipset src -j DROP");
}
}

This is to avoid ip spoofing.

This allow only ip(s) address defined for the specific vm nic to going out.

I don't remember why we have only implemented it for outgoing traffic.

Reactions: Gilberto Ferreira
Yes, I will use it for this scenario, to avoid ip spoofing. But when I set the incoming policy to allow an create the ip-set I can't ping anything from the VM but all can access e.g. the website on this server. So a other VM can "cache" the IP and can create a fake website. I think a good way is to implement it for "IN", too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!