Firewall breaks eth1

ppreininger

Oct 9, 2011
Hi,

since I am using the latest Proxmox version 1.9 i'm having some troubles with my firewall. I'm running an IPfire firewall as virtual machine. From time to time, the outgoing ehternet interface in the firewall is not working any more. When this happens the Proxmox syslog shows

Oct 8 21:35:48 proxmox kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1 (r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out
Oct 8 21:35:48 proxmox kernel: Modules linked in: vhost_net macvtap macvlan tun kvm_intel kvm vzethdev vznetdev simfs vzrst nf_nat nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv4 vzcpt nfs lockd fscache nfs_acl auth_rpcgss sunrpc vzdquota vzmon vzdev ip6t_REJECT ip6table_mangle ip6table_filter ip6_tables xt_length xt_hl xt_tcpmss xt_TCPMSS iptable_mangle iptable_filter xt_multiport xt_limit xt_dscp ipt_REJECT ip_tables vzevent autofs4 ipv6 bridge stp llc coretemp serio_raw pcspkr asus_atk0110 hwmon tpm_tis tpm tpm_bios snd_hda_codec_realtek i2c_i801 i2c_core snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_pcm snd_timer shpchp snd soundcore snd_page_alloc ext3 jbd mbcache dm_mirror dm_region_hash dm_log dm_snapshot sg firewire_ohci firewire_core crc_itu_t floppy pata_marvell pata_acpi ata_generic r8169 mii ahci aacraid e1000e [last unloaded: scsi_wait_scan]
Oct 8 21:35:48 proxmox kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth1: link up

IPFire uses vmbr1 for the outgoing interface. The configuration in proxmox looks like this:
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

It's not possible to get eth1 running again. Only a system restart helps.

I did a bit of research and I think the problem is that the eth1 in Proxmox is negotiated to 100Mb/s, whereas the interface in IPFire still has 1000Mb/s set. I am not able to set the speed in IPFire to 100Mb/s (already tried to using ethtool).

Could this be the problem? is there something I can change in the interface settings in Proxmox?

A what I forgot: pveversion -v results in

pve-manager: 1.9-24 (pve-manager/1.9/6542)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-47
pve-kernel-2.6.24-7-pve: 2.6.24-11
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-47
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-2pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

Thank you very much for your help

Thank you, I will test at weekend. Does this kernel repair the speed negotiation in my VM-Firewall? In the meantime I installed a new ethernet card with another chipset, which seems to be more stable - the problem did just occur occasionally. But also with this card, the Ethernet speed in the firewall is fixed at 1000MBit. Shall I reinstall the old card?

Thanks again

Peter

Hello,

thank you, I just installed the new kernel. Still the firewall's ethernet interface is 1000MBit. Maybe with the new card its still more stable. I will keep it under investigation. Up to now, I could not reproduce the problem.

Thank you again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!