Firefox plugin needed to use proxmox console

billthebull

Oct 4, 2012
Hi all,

we are running proxmox cluster a long time and everything is working fine.
Now I have installed windows 7 with firefox browser and everytime I try to start a console via web-gui firefox
tells me that a plugin is missing but does not show which one is missing.
I have already installed java but and also added the servers into the java security-configuration.
It would be great if someone can help me to find out which plugin must be installed to get the console working again.

Thanks!!!

Rgds,
Joachim

I am sorry but i made a mistake.
The version I am using is proxmox 3.0.
Is this also working and if yes I'd there something I need to install within web browser?
Usually I log into webgui select a vm right click and start console.....

I am sorry but i made a mistake.
The version I am using is proxmox 3.0.
Is this also working and if yes I'd there something I need to install within web browser?
Usually I log into webgui select a vm right click and start console.....

you need proxmox 3.3 minimum

proxmox 3.0 is really really old (more than 2years).

Here's the easiest way I've found.

Create a Ubuntu/Xubuntu (or whatever *buntu flavour distro) VM on your machine which you manage from (I use Virtualbox, you can use vmware workstation/player etc).
Install the "icedtea-7-plugin" via apt-get.
Hit "Yes" on whatever warnings come up.
Use Firefox (Chrome works as well but has some rare issues with thinking the Java window is inactive and asking to kill it).

I've found it's FAR superior to the screwing around required in Windows. Primarily because the official Java plugin constantly gets blacklisted in browsers, rarely gets updated, doesn't accept self-signed certs (forcing you to add every, single, server, as a security exception) and is buggy as all hell.
The IceTea plugin has none of those issues other than simply "warning" you about the self-sign certs and can be bypassed with a simple "yes". The only problem I've run into is sometimes it will not completely load if you're running through an SSH tunnel, but simply hitting the "reload" button in the top-right fixes that.

I'm running LinuxMint XFCE edition at my primary OS, but on my Windows10 laptop I do the above.

Yes , it works fine now, using icedtea.
Also I have reinstalled java on my Windows 7 machine and it works also.
By beginning of next year I will try to update proxmox to the latest version.
Proxmox 3.0 is working fine so far including drbd. I hope it is possible to move all vm to one cluster node update the other ( hope drbd us still working), move vm back to the already updated node again and update the other node. But I am not sure if it is possible to run cluster with two different versions within the update process, but thetefore I will check the other threads.
Thanks for your help!

Yes , it works fine now, using icedtea.
Also I have reinstalled java on my Windows 7 machine and it works also.
By beginning of next year I will try to update proxmox to the latest version.
Proxmox 3.0 is working fine so far including drbd. I hope it is possible to move all vm to one cluster node update the other ( hope drbd us still working), move vm back to the already updated node again and update the other node. But I am not sure if it is possible to run cluster with two different versions within the update process, but thetefore I will check the other threads.
Thanks for your help!

yes, you can mix 3.0 with other 3.X without any problem.

Only upgrade to proxmox 4.0 is not compatible. (corosync2 + DRBD9)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!