Find the files occupying most space in a backup archive?

fdcastel

Sep 28, 2021
How could I find the files occupying most space in a backup archive?

I have a LXC with around ~37GB of data (or so it seems). In my PVE host:

Bash:
# du -sh /rpool/data/subvol-215-disk-0
37G     /rpool/data/subvol-215-disk-0

However my backups for this LXC are around ~60GB (!?), according to web UI.
BTW: how to get this size via command line?

I tried to mount the archive
Bash:
proxmox-backup-client mount ct/215/2024-08-18T09:46:51Z root.pxar /mnt/tmp/

But du is not being very helpful:
Bash:
/mnt/tmp# du -sh *
0       bin
0       boot
0       dev
0       etc

I presume the difference in size is probably due to sparse files. Problem is: I have A LOT of them in this container.

I'm looking for a way to find the largest ones, hoping I can exclude some of them from backup.

Login to your container and "find / -type f -size +9G -ls" eg. search for files bigger than 9GB and then go down with less size.

Reactions: fdcastel
The webUI will show the provisioned size of the drive(s) of the VM/LXC. It does not show the size used by that specific backup. In fact, that's a very tricky piece of information to get when backing up to PBS, as the chunks are shared (deduplicated) among all the backups in the same datastore, whether they are from the same VM/LXC or others.

Reactions: fdcastel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!