[SOLVED] Find corresponding VM

martijnk

May 4, 2020
Hi,

Some customer runs a DHCP server on my network. I want to find the VM which is running this. I have the IP and Mac address of the DHCP server but I can't relate this to any VM, so I suspect it must be running in a docker container or something. I'm running both KVMs and LXC containers.

So question is, how do I find the VM/Container doing this?

hmm - if the mac-address is not configured on any of your guests (vm or container) you should still be able to see it in the forwarding table and find out where it's connected:
* `bridge fdb show |grep -i aa:aa:aa:aa:aa` (replace aa:aa:aa:aa:aa with the actual mac-address of the dhcp server)
this should yield the interface where this mac was seen (only if there have been packets sent with this mac recently)
e.g. `tap111i0` - with that you can decode the guest-id (111 in that case)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: oguz and martijnk
hmm - if the mac-address is not configured on any of your guests (vm or container) you should still be able to see it in the forwarding table and find out where it's connected:
* `bridge fdb show |grep -i aa:aa:aa:aa:aa` (replace aa:aa:aa:aa:aa with the actual mac-address of the dhcp server)
this should yield the interface where this mac was seen (only if there have been packets sent with this mac recently)
e.g. `tap111i0` - with that you can decode the guest-id (111 in that case)

I hope this helps!
That helped a lot, I instantly found the machine.

Thanks! I will document this command :)

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Glad that helped :)

Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - In case someone else runs into such an issue - they'll know directly that a solution might be waiting for them in this thread.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!