filesystems mounted within a newly created bind mount tree are not accessible until remount on host

fiveangle

Dec 23, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
I've found what appears to be a bug on PVE 6.4. I am running 5.11 kernel but have not tested on 5.4 kernel.

Linux richie 5.11.17-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.11.17-1~bpo10 (Wed, 12 May 2021 12:45:37 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Containers that have a configured bind mount point will restore correctly, but any mounted file systems that exist within the bind mount tree are inaccessible until remounted on the host.

Example:

File systems are mounted on the host at /farm:
Code:
root@richie:/farm# mount|grep transfer7
/dev/sde1 on /farm/transfer7 type exfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro)

LXC container has bind mount for /farm to host /farm then is backed up and restored with "Unpriveledged" set to "No", and then started:
Code:
root@richie:/farm# pct list|egrep 'VMID|102'
VMID       Status     Lock         Name
102        running                 chiapet

Confirm restored container contains bind mount of /farm to hosts /farm:
Code:
root@richie:/farm# pct df 102
MP     Volume                   Size  Used Avail Use% Path
rootfs local-lvm:vm-102-disk-0 62.5G 27.6G 31.7G  0.4 /
mp0    /farm                   54.6G 46.0G  5.8G  0.8 /farm

Observe contents of mounted file systems inaccessible from within container but is accessble from host:
Code:
On container:
root@chiapet:/farm# ls transfer7/*
ls: cannot access 'transfer7/*': No such file or directory

On host:
root@richie:/farm# ls -l transfer7/
total 512
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 131072 May 24 16:10  plots
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root      5 May 22 13:48  sata
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 131072 May 26 04:19 'System Volume Information'
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     10 May 22 13:48  transfer7

Remount file system with identical mount method as before restore of container:
Code:
root@richie:/farm# umount /farm/transfer7
root@richie:/farm# mount /dev/disk/by-label/transfer7 /farm/transfer7/
root@richie:/farm# mount|grep transfer7
/dev/sde1 on /farm/transfer7 type exfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro)

Observe contents of mounted file system in bind mount tree is now accessible within the container
Code:
root@chiapet:/farm# ls -l transfer7/
total 512
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 131072 May 26 04:19 'System Volume Information'
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 131072 May 24 16:10  plots
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root      5 May 22 13:48  sata
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     10 May 22 13:48  transfer7

Is this working as designed, and if so, why ? And if not, how best to communicate to the dev team ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
New information: if you restart the LXC, the mounted file systems are once again inaccessible. Umount/mount once again restores access but "mount -o remount <mount path>" does not.

Can anyone confirm this does not occur with 5.4 kernel ? I will have to forego wireguard functionality if I downgrade, but this bug is more of a problem, and I can move wireguard to virtual machine if necessary.

Thanks !

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!