Filesystem layout for 2 SSDs in an Intel NUC?

pan!c

Oct 5, 2019
How would you guys layout the file system?

I have one NVMe SSD which is 500GB and SATA3 SSD which 1TB.

I was thinking about giving 20GB to Proxmox and use the remaining storage for VMs. I installed Proxmox on the 500GB NVMe SSD.

Proxmox default installation created the following logical volumes.

Code:
 LV   VG  Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data pve twi-a-tz-- <8.00g             0.00   1.58
  root pve -wi-ao----  4.75g
  swap pve -wi-ao---- <2.38g

I feel like 'root' should be partitioned to keep up with best practices and have /home, /tmp, and so on, in separate volumes. What do you think?

Additionally I'd remove data logical volume, it looks like waste of space. I'd create new partition for VMs on the NVMe and SATA SSDs.

Strange thing is that https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation does not mention other file system layouts. Is 'just' having 'root' considered good practice for Proxmox?

And how do I delete 'local' storage in GUI? I tried to disable it and click on 'remove' but nothing happens. I don't want my stuff to be in '/var/lib/vz'. It's not listed in "/etc/pve/storage.cfg".

Would installing Debian first and then going for PVE be my best shot here? I guess so, as far as the docs goes "In some case it makes sense to install Proxmox VE on top of a running Debian Buster 64-bit, especially if you want a custom partition layout.".
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

Last edited:
Hi,

Additionally I'd remove data logical volume, it looks like waste of space. I'd create new partition for VMs on the NVMe and SATA SSDs.
Do you want to make a stripe over these two devices?
If yes this is very dangerous.
I feel like 'root' should be partitioned to keep up with best practices and have /home, /tmp, and so on, in separate volumes. What do you think?
Proxmox VE is a server so /home is not in the scope of a typical Proxmox VE installation.
But you free to design your own disk layout.

And how do I delete 'local' storage in GUI? I tried to disable it and click on 'remove' but nothing happens. I don't want my stuff to be in '/var/lib/vz'. It's not listed in "/etc/pve/storage.cfg".
You can't delete this entry. But you can disable it.

How did you end up?
I've got same setup but two of 360gb SSD want to keep much space as possible for my vm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!