axrusar

Jun 13, 2022
I am setting up a small home server to run
proxmox
nextcloud
mint linux
windows 10
shared file server

i would like to setup a shared pool, so i can manually move files around from the nexcloud data folder to a main offline data partition, accessible
with linux mint so i can work on the data pool.

Now what do you guys do or recommend to put the files on?
I know a bit of truenas, i learn there is the turn server template options available in the CT section, and could install any VM for a file server.
but the only thing i need, is a bucket with the data on it, accessible via NFS or Samba via any of the other systems i mentioned.

Can i just create the encrypted pool on a few spare drives i intend to, put the data there and just make it available within the same debian base proxmox runs on?
I know from the security point this is a bad idea. So what simple solutions do i have?

Can i just create the encrypted pool on a few spare drives i intend to, put the data there and just make it available within the same debian base proxmox runs on?
I know from the security point this is a bad idea. So what simple solutions do i have?
If you are fine with managing your shares by editing config files, then yes.

A more elegant solution might be to create your ZFS pool on your host, create a encrypted dataset on it where you put your files into and which you want to share. Then you could create a unprivileged LXC, bind-mount the mountpoint of that encrypted dataset into that LXC and setup a NFS/SMB server inside that LXC to share that data. You will possibly need to edit the user remapping as described here in case you don't want to chmod that dataset to 777 or otherwise your LXC won't have the rights to access that bind-mounted folder. If you choose a Debian LXC (Debian 10.X for OMV 5.X and Debian 11.X for OMV 6.X ) you could also convert it into a OpenMediaVault giving you a simple webUI for managing the shares as described here: https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript
Running that SMB/NFS server in an LXC would also allow you to backup your "NAS" in case you screw some share configurations up and need to restore it (as long as you don't want to store that backup on this SMB/NFS share too).

But Nextcloud itself could also be used as some kind of NAS. You can mount it as a regular network drive to your OS (even Win) through the webDAV protocol without needing a Nextcloud-client to sync stuff. That way Nextcloud also can't be confused if suddenly files are missing or added because you deleted/added them directly via NFS/SMB without Nextcloud noticing it, as everyting changed via webDAV will directly be managed/monitored by Nextcloud.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!