File Restore List not finished in Time

Uwe Jans

Sep 12, 2017
Backup via Proxmox Backup Server:

I have a disk (ext4) with 12 Million E-Mails in 10000 directories (Maildir) and if try to open such list I got the following Error:

proxmox-file-restore failed: Error: list not finished in time (500)

A Full Restore works fine. A File Restore on this Disk is not possible because the List doesn't show up. All other File Restores on this VM are working fine.

Versions: pve-manager/7.3-3/c3928077
proxmox-backup 2.3-1 running kernel: 5.15.60-2-pve
proxmox-backup-server 2.3.1-1 running version: 2.3.1

Regards

Uwe Jans

proxmox-file-restore failed: Error: list not finished in time (500)
The (500) makes it seem to me as if you are encountering this problem in the GUI somewhere, however, I have not been able to find where exactly did would show up when using the restore.

If you are actually using the command line for this, you can simply define a timeout via the --timeout parameter.

As far as I understand from your post, it only happens for the (parent) folder that contains your Maildir? If you are seeing this problem somewhere in the GUI, please write exactly what you are doing and where you encounter it.

The (500) makes it seem to me as if you are encountering this problem in the GUI somewhere, however, I have not been able to find where exactly did would show up when using the restore.

If you are actually using the command line for this, you can simply define a timeout via the --timeout parameter.

As far as I understand from your post, it only happens for the (parent) folder that contains your Maildir? If you are seeing this problem somewhere in the GUI, please write exactly what you are doing and where you encounter it.
It's on the GUI PVE / VM / Backup (Storage PBS) / File Restore / Backup choose from List - Opens up/ choose one drive with 3TB size that uses 1TB / Try to open raw -> Error Message proxmox-file-restore failed: Error: list not finished in time (500).

On the Disk (ext4) are, 10000 Homes directories with each Maildir directory and subdirectories with round about 12 million files.

Best regards,
Uwe

I was taking a look at the code before sending my first message, but there was a recent change which I didn't see on my local version yet.
The timeout value for the GUI in the backend is hardcoded at 25 seconds, but there is a built-in retry mechanism.

If the listing still takes too long, though, the GUI will always show the error. In your case, you would probably want to do this on the CLI instead. Because of the insufficient timeout of course, but also because the frontend was not designed to manage such huge amounts of directories and files and doing it there would therefore not be very pleasant anyway.

Can you give my a hint for the CLI to do such a file restore, maybe to mount a Backup. I would prefer something like the GUI does. Only without the timeout ;-)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!