File restore from Proxmox VM backup

kosnar

Aug 23, 2024
Hello,

I have a Proxmox VE server with several VM host. The VM host are backuped to Proxmox Backup server. Now I need to restore one folder from old backup. There is Windows server as the OS in the VM, the partitions are NFTS. So I use the "File restore" function in Proxmox VE interface. But I don't see the folder. Actually I think there is more folder missing than displayed in the "File restore" function. When I restore the whole VM, all folders are there but restoring the whole VM takes too much of time.

How can I restore just one folder without restoring the whole VM?

Is this known bug/weeknes? Or I do something wrong?

Thanks.

One possible way to get a single file (or a folder or ...) out of the backup of a Windows-VM with NTFS is this:

PVE WebGui --> <that VM> --> Backup --> select Storage: <your backup system> --> select one specific backup --> Top bar: "File Restore" --> drill down "drive-scsi0.omg.fidx --> part --> 2 ( or other partition with the largest size = probably drive C: ) --> Users --> <your user in Windows>" --> Documents --> ... --> Download as ".zip" --> save to where you want --> open the .zip and copy the file(s) to the original location.

This worked for me, half a minute ago :)

Note that this sequence may be done directly inside the VM or on any other system with a web browser...

Does this help?

Reactions: waltar
One possible way to get a single file (or a folder or ...) out of the backup of a Windows-VM with NTFS is this:

PVE WebGui --> <that VM> --> Backup --> select Storage: <your backup system> --> select one specific backup --> Top bar: "File Restore" --> drill down "drive-scsi0.omg.fidx --> part --> 2 ( or other partition with the largest size = probably drive C: ) --> Users --> <your user in Windows>" --> Documents --> ... --> Download as ".zip" --> save to where you want --> open the .zip and copy the file(s) to the original location.

This worked for me, half a minute ago :)

Note that this sequence may be done directly inside the VM or on any other system with a web browser...

Does this help?

Sorry this not helped me.

As I wrote I don't se all files using "File restore". I tried to restore parent directory too, but there are only files visible in GUI in the restored folder.

R.

Did you check if these folders/files that were missing had something in common, for example any non-ascii symbols in the names (so for example é ß & @), or very long names (causing the full path to near/pass the default 255 Windows path character-limit), other permissions / owners / encryption / compression, or other things like that?

Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!