Figuring out how pve gui works behind the scene with different architectures

samip537

Oct 22, 2020
Hi,

I would like to know how does the gui work when you edit the /etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf and set it to like aarch64, how does it know how to emulate it?
I have compiled my own version of pve-qemu-kvm deb package, with support for multiple architectures so I would like to know how I can also get the GUI to understand it.

Hi,

The GUI has not really a part in this directly, it's mostly just displaying and providing inputs for the backend.
Most parts of VMs are handled in the qemu-server package, which has already some support for aarch64
Cehckout the git repo and search for aarch64 in PVE/QemuServer.pm to see some details about different handling between x86 and arm: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-server.git;a=summary

I have compiled my own version of pve-qemu-kvm deb package, with support for multiple architectures so I would like to know how I can also get the GUI to understand it.
Ours ships already support for aarch64 so what other would you need?
And what do you mean when you say "make the GUI understand it", every VM feature would need first support in the backend before the GUI comes into play..

Hi,

The GUI has not really a part in this directly, it's mostly just displaying and providing inputs for the backend.
Most parts of VMs are handled in the qemu-server package, which has already some support for aarch64
Cehckout the git repo and search for aarch64 in PVE/QemuServer.pm to see some details about different handling between x86 and arm: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-server.git;a=summary

Ours ships already support for aarch64 so what other would you need?
And what do you mean when you say "make the GUI understand it", every VM feature would need first support in the backend before the GUI comes into play..

Is the backend the GUI talks to the one you linked as in the qemu-server package?
I need support for mips64 which has been disabled in the pve-qemu-kvm package that's shipped with Promox 6 and that's why I have compiled my own.

Last edited:
Is the backend the GUI talks to the one you linked as in the qemu-server package?
That is part of it, yeah, and for the VM stuff it the main one, there are other packages/repositories for storage management/api, container management/api, ... A full blown hyper-visor with advanced features like Proxmox VE tends to be rather complex, so there's not a single "backend package/repo". In pve-manager all comes together though, it hosts the central API entry points and is the link between all other domain-specific backend code. Further, it hosts the most parts of the PVE webinterface.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!