Fiber connection problem

cocobanana

Jun 18, 2021
Hi,

Good day to you.

I have 6 nodes. 5 nodes connected into a cluster and 1 node is not yet conected to cluster because I have problem with the fiber connection. 5 nodes are using Proxmox 7.1-7 and 1 node node is using 7.2-3 ( the latest version )

I did install ethtool on all 6 nodes and I found that the firmware in 1 node ( the problem node ) is not same with the 5 nodes. The different is 1.1853.0 and 1.1747.0.

How can I fix the problem node to use firmware version 1.1853.0 ?
My fiber NIC is Intel X710

5 nodes with ethtool summary are as below :-

root@Node-05:~# ethtool -i enp129s0f0
driver: i40e
version: 5.13.19-2-pve
firmware-version: 6.01 0x80003498 1.1853.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:81:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes
root@Node-05:~#

1 node( the problem with the fiber) with ethtool summary are as below:-

root@Node-04:/# ethtool -i enp129s0f1
version: 5.15.30-2-pve
firmware-version: 6.01 0x80003483 1.1747.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:81:00.1
root@Node-04:/#

Please help me.

Thanks

Hi,

I already update the firmware to the latest version and I did try and still no luck.

Anyone can advise what should i do?

6: enp129s0f0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether XX:XX:XXXX:XX:XX brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.100.4/24 scope global enp129s0f0
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
7: enp129s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

root@Node-04:~# ethtool -i enp129s0f0
version: 5.15.30-2-pve
firmware-version: 8.70 0x8000c3ef 1.3179.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:81:00.0
root@Node-04:~#

Are kernel versions the same between all nodes? What about "modinfo [nic_driver_name]" ? If not - try older kernel, ie the one you are using on working nodes.
Its always possible you have bad hardware... Did you try to move cables from good into bad, and vice versa? Try to swap the NICs for a known good one.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Are kernel versions the same between all nodes? What about "modinfo [nic_driver_name]" ? If not - try older kernel, ie the one you are using on working nodes.
Its always possible you have bad hardware... Did you try to move cables from good into bad, and vice versa? Try to swap the NICs for a known good one.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Hi,

modinfo: ERROR: missing module or filename.

How to fix it?

Thanks

modinfo needs an argument - module name. You need to find what module/driver is servicing your NIC. You may be able to do it from "lsmod" output. If its not clear from lsmod output, you will have to examine "dmeg" or "journalctl -b1" to find the name. Then you can run "modinfo [module_name].

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!