Fencing Dell C6100

deltaend

Jan 21, 2013
So, here is my configuration:

Dell PowerEdge C6100 with BMC set to dedicated. They are connected to the same network as the LAN on Proxmox. Null user has been given no access, root user has had password set to something specific and a static IP address has been assigned. The IPMI can be connected via the web interface or via SuperMicro's IPMI View 2.9.20. Proxmox 3.1 has been installed in a two cluster format. IPMItool has been installed, although I had to add repository "deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib" in order for it to find IPMItool as the default repositories didn't have it. IPMItool then failed to install correctly, I remove it and installed it again with no problem (same on both servers). Commands can now be sent to IPMI via the ipmitool command function, however, I'm having difficulty using ipmitool to verify that I have access to any ipmi resources. I have tried a number of command lines to no success. Even a simple command like:
Code:
# ipmitool –I lan –H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -U root -a channel info
produces
Code:
Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Unable to Get Channel Info

Looks like aptitude gave me m68k (unofficial port) 1.8.11-5 amd64 and the repositories that I have setup don't find the newest version, 1.8.12-1. Is there a specific repository that I should be connecting to?

The IP of the IPMI BMC is on the same subnet as the Proxmox box and it isn't on the same physical machine. So, my guess is that I have IPMItool incorrectly installed. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I just tried installing it via aptitude on Proxmox 3.0 and I got the same error. Here it is:

Code:
Starting IPMI event daemon ipmievdipmievd: using pidfile /var/run/ipmievd.pid0
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory
Unable to open interface.
Failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript ipmievd, action "start" failed.
Unable to start ipmievd during installation.  Trying to disable.

Aptitude installed the same version of ipmitool: m68k (unofficial port) 1.8.11-5 amd64
Seems like IPMI requires a daemon to run in order to make connections to other IPMI devices on the network and that setup of this daemon is failing due to it not finding a local IPMI device? Any ideas?

Could we please get a supported method of installing and configuring IPMI on Proxmox 3.0-3.1? Updating your wiki would be fine as well. Please let us know when we can test.

I just tried installing it via aptitude on Proxmox 3.0 and I got the same error. Here it is:

Code:
Starting IPMI event daemon ipmievdipmievd: using pidfile /var/run/ipmievd.pid0
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory
Unable to open interface.
Failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript ipmievd, action "start" failed.
Unable to start ipmievd during installation.  Trying to disable.

Aptitude installed the same version of ipmitool: m68k (unofficial port) 1.8.11-5 amd64
Seems like IPMI requires a daemon to run in order to make connections to other IPMI devices on the network and that setup of this daemon is failing due to it not finding a local IPMI device? Any ideas?

Did you tried to add modules in /etc/modules:
ipmi_msghandler
ipmi_devintf
ipmi-si

And then restart /etc/init.d/ipmievd
?

Did you tried to add modules in /etc/modules:
ipmi_msghandler
ipmi_devintf
ipmi-si

And then restart /etc/init.d/ipmievd
?

Just tried, no joy. Getting the following response:

Code:
Activate Session error: Invalid data field in request
Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Unable to Get Channel Info

Seems like it isn't even attempting. Could be the version of the IPMItool. Is there a recommended version?

You probably need to do:

modprobe ipmi_msghandler
modprobe ipmi_devintf
modprobe ipmi-si

I think /etc/init.d/ipmievd is just a syslog thing.

I know this thread may be old, but I was able to get fencing working on my Dell C6100 and 4 nodes. First off, make sure you are on the latest BIOS (1.71 as of this post), and under the BIOS settings, set IPMI to broadcast to the host. After that, you will need to add the modules mentioned in this thread, and install ipmi tool.

After you do that, it should work. Here is a copy of my cluster config:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?><cluster name="Cluster-1-1" config_version="5">

<cman keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
  </cman>
  <fencedevices>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="bmc1" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.1.*.*" login="ProxmoxHA" passwd="*" power_wait="5"/>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="bmc2" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.1.*.*" login="ProxmoxHA" passwd="*" power_wait="5"/>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="bmc3" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.1.*.*" login="ProxmoxHA" passwd="*" power_wait="5"/>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="bmc4" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.1.*.*" login="ProxmoxHA" passwd="*" power_wait="5"/>
  </fencedevices>
  <clusternodes>
    <clusternode name="C6100-1-N1" votes="1" nodeid="1">
      <fence>
        <method name="1">
          <device name="bmc1"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="C6100-1-N2" votes="1" nodeid="2">
      <fence>
        <method name="1">
          <device name="bmc2"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="C6100-1-N3" votes="1" nodeid="3">
      <fence>
        <method name="1">
          <device name="bmc3"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="C6100-1-N4" votes="1" nodeid="4">
      <fence>
        <method name="1">
          <device name="bmc4"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
    </clusternode>
  </clusternodes>

</cluster>

And testing:
Code:
root@C6100-1-N1:/# fence_node C6100-1-N2 -vvfence C6100-1-N2 dev 0.0 agent fence_ipmilan result: success
agent args: nodename=C6100-1-N2 agent=fence_ipmilan lanplus=1 ipaddr=10.1.*.* login=ProxmoxHA passwd=* power_wait=5
fence C6100-1-N2 success

Thanks for posting this. However, I tried it on my C6100 cluster (which has BIOS ver 2.4.0) and found that lanplus needs to be omitted from the config string like this:
Code:
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="******" ipaddr="********" login="*******" passwd="*******" power_wait="5"/>
Of course you need to remember to re-activate cluster.conf from the HA tab in Proxmox.
After doing that, everything works like a charm. If you want, you can also test whether the fencing works from the command line by using the following:
Code:
:# fence_node [node name] -v

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!