feedback and a few general questions

elterminatore

Jun 18, 2018
hey guys,

first of all a big praise. this is a very cool development. you have done a very good job. long time pve users have been waiting for an "improvement" of the vzdump.

what are the advantages of the iso installer? apparently it doesn't bring any features like setting up a raid1 for the operating system and setting up a zfs pool for the datastore etc.

so far i have a freenas server for the backups. that's why i didn't want to set up a second backup server, especially in the beta phase. so i mounted the harddisks in a virtual pbs via iscsi from freenas. are there any reasons why i shouldn't do that? any disadvantages by using iscsi?

does the use of zfs bring any advantages for the datasore? as i understood, the remote sync does not use any zfs features?

when setting up the backup storage in pve i get a checkbox "encryption key" in the gui on my cluster and not on a single host pve. i'm not sure if i did anything different when setting it up. is this how it works? if so, why? so, i have created the encryption key on the single server, which works.

and i already found the bug with 2h session timeout when transferring large backups via remote sync ;-)

cheers,
stefan

what are the advantages of the iso installer? apparently it doesn't bring any features like setting up a raid1 for the operating system and setting up a zfs pool for the datastore etc.
The ISO installer has the same features as the PVE one, you can set up ZFS raid(z) and different file systems all you want...

so far i have a freenas server for the backups. that's why i didn't want to set up a second backup server, especially in the beta phase. so i mounted the harddisks in a virtual pbs via iscsi from freenas. are there any reasons why i shouldn't do that? any disadvantages by using iscsi?
Your data is going to be sent over the network twice. We recommend local storage for that reason, but I've seen several people use NFS or iSCSI storages successfully.

does the use of zfs bring any advantages for the datasore? as i understood, the remote sync does not use any zfs features?
The ZFS syncing features are not necessary, as the PBS sync is already incremental and deduplicated. ZFS does give you all the usual benefits as the underlying storage however, i.e. checksumming, easy volume management, tiered storage, etc...

when setting up the backup storage in pve i get a checkbox "encryption key" in the gui on my cluster and not on a single host pve. i'm not sure if i did anything different when setting it up. is this how it works? if so, why? so, i have created the encryption key on the single server, which works.
What do you mean by that? VM backups will always check the directory /etc/pve/priv/storage for an encryption key (this is also where the checkmark in the GUI will place the key), which is synchronized across the cluster (via corosync, since it's under /etc/pve which is our cluster filesystem pmxcfs). This sync is intentional, since otherwise you couldn't back up a VM on one cluster node and restore it on another.

and i already found the bug with 2h session timeout when transferring large backups via remote sync ;-)
We're on it :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!