Feature suggestion: Option to set "auto live migration"

vamp

Jun 24, 2017
Hello there,

I saw on you future plan to you will add to live migration (with GUI):
  • Live migration with local storage (qemu) to the gui

You will plan to build "auto live migration" function?

Eg: i set some migration scheduled task with parameters, like: CPU usage, overall host performance, Operating system type, etc.. and it automatically migrate the VM-s bettween the hosts.

I saw on you future plan to you will add to live migration (with GUI):
  • Live migration with local storage (qemu) to the gui
live migration is already on the gui, but not with 'local' storage

You will plan to build "auto live migration" function?

Eg: i set some migration scheduled task with parameters, like: CPU usage, overall host performance, Operating system type, etc.. and it automatically migrate the VM-s bettween the hosts.
we have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet

It makes sense to have an auto balancing of the hosts in a cluster as an available option. Just to even out the CPU / RAM load.

I'd like to see the local storage migration make it to the GUI but that's already on the roadmap so all good, not sure though automatic local migration makes sense. With shared storage it's a good option and VMware have that as DRS for instance. However if you end up moving the storage from node to node quite often that's going to hit your IOPS quite a bit. Feels like you'd need this with something like the Storage Replication option to avoid too much data transfer but by that point it's starting to get a lot more complex to implement.

First round i think the shared storage automatic migration is enought.

live migration is already on the gui, but not with 'local' storage

we have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet

If you are going to implement this feature, it would be great & fantastic move for gaining more popularity among VMware/Citrix lovers & they will definitely migrate to Proxmox.

Hi,

Do you know if this "auto live migration", or "automated scheduling" is still on the cards for Proxmox? (Similar to VMware DRS, or oVirt's scheduling features)

This other thread mentions a discussion on the PVE mailing list - but I can't seem to find the thread?

I don't see the feature on the Proxmox roadmap - are there any plans to have it in a future version?

As a stopgap measure - does anybody know of any workarounds/hacks/scripts that might do something similar? (I saw an effort to start it here - but no activity since).

Thanks,
Victor

Reactions: bvdl
Totally agree with Victor.

This is a feature one expects from modern hypervisor clusters, like xenserver, vsphere, virtio, nutanix, even Microsoft Hyper-V.

It would be great if Proxmox would be able to add this functionality,
or at least a basic implementation of it.

Yes, I saw the 6.1 release notes.

I believe you're referring to it now migrating VMs when you intentionally shut-down a host.

However, unless I'm mis-reading the feature, this isn't the same as auto-scheduling of VMs.

Many modern hypervisors have a scheduling policy for clusters - where when you create a VM, it intelligently assigns it to a node, based on the load/usage per node.

Would be great if Proxmox had that one day.

Affinity and Anti Affinity grouping should be available as well, which is kind of an requirement of auto distribution is supposed to do a good job.

Reactions: frfx
I'm really happy to see that this thread is leave! I hope in the future Proxmox able to do DRS like functions!

You are went in the near past some great steps to will be a good "cluster based system" and not a "single-node" hypervisor.The tons of improvments with shared storage, cluster, HA, etc... is a good way, but a Vsphere DRS like feature is really missing!

Reactions: DerDanilo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!