Feature Request: Sync transfer speed limitation based on timeslots

DerDanilo

Renowned Member
Jan 21, 2017
When syncing a lot data it can take a lot time sometimes, especially if the bandwith is limited somewhat. After the initial sync the time needed to sync up will be shorter but it can still take longer than x hours and hence needs some sort of speed limitation if it exceeds a certain timeframe. If it cannot be limited the sync would need to be stopped to allow decent internet speed during office hours. Limiting the speed with an external solution (e.g. FW) is not ideal and in some szenarios not even possible.

In the PMGs there is an object which let's user define e.g. "office hours" or multiple timeslots.
For the PBS sync it would be very useful to have the same settings, to allow "full speed" during e.g. night and "limited speed" during e.g. office hours.

Can this be build into PBS please?

Thanks!

Reactions: Rainerle
you could do two cronjobs/systemd timer:

one in the morning that enables bandwidth limits with 'tc' (see 'man tc' on how to do that)
one in the evening that disables it again

you could do two cronjobs/systemd timer:

one in the morning that enables bandwidth limits with 'tc' (see 'man tc' on how to do that)
one in the evening that disables it again
Thanks for the suggestion. I have used those in other projects. But an integrated solution would be better, especially since the sync feature is available.

In pve it is also possible to configure a global default for bandwidth in the Datacenter view for some task types.

Thanks

i am not sure if we want to integrate it into pbs, but you can of course open a feature request on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com to discuss this further
I will open a feature request. But i strongly hope that traffic throtteling will be integrated into PBS. Most if not all major backup solutions that allow transfer via network have such setting.
e.g.Veeam
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/setting_network_traffic_throttling.html?ver=100

The same would be true for the pbs client (only linux at the moment). A BW limit might be usefull there. In PVE I don't know if the backup throtteling actually works for PBS at the moment, as this could also be usefull. (not applicable at clusters I mantain, since they have multiple NICs).

FYI: For PBS only "beta" is available as version for now.
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3151

Last edited:
We are currently migrating from VMware/NetApp with Veeam to Proxmox VE with Proxmox BS.

This is our use case:
- Site 1 has a 4HE server with lots of spinning disks and ZFS as PBS1 data sink and PVE cluster 1.
- Site 2 has PVE clusters 2 and 3 with a PBS2 installation on a QEMU VM which holds hourly backups and maximum two daily backups. These daily backups are synced to the Site 1
- Site 1 has 1G uplink with pay per traffic volume usage
- Site 2 has 1G uplink with pay per used bandwidth 95 percentile
- Within the sites traffic is no problem

So I want PVE Cluster 1 backup to PBS1 with no limit, and PVE Cluster 1&2 to PBS2 with no limit, but PBS2 sync to PBS1 sync with a limit of 250MBit, so I do not exceed my 95%percentile during low traffic times.

Reactions: DerDanilo
We are currently migrating from VMware/NetApp with Veeam to Proxmox VE with Proxmox BS.

This is our use case:
- Site 1 has a 4HE server with lots of spinning disks and ZFS as PBS1 data sink and PVE cluster 1.
- Site 2 has PVE clusters 2 and 3 with a PBS2 installation on a QEMU VM which holds hourly backups and maximum two daily backups. These daily backups are synced to the Site 1
- Site 1 has 1G uplink with pay per traffic volume usage
- Site 2 has 1G uplink with pay per used bandwidth 95 percentile
- Within the sites traffic is no problem

So I want PVE Cluster 1 backup to PBS1 with no limit, and PVE Cluster 1&2 to PBS2 with no limit, but PBS2 sync to PBS1 sync with a limit of 250MBit, so I do not exceed my 95%percentile during low traffic times.
Please also comment on the bugzilla ticket, as this may be of help to push this feature request.
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3151

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!