Feature Request - Rename backup GUI interface

FcbInfo

Renowned Member
Dec 21, 2012
Hi there.

I don't know if it's hard to do, but I believe its easy.

If you can and it's not hard, please, insert a button of that we can Rename Backup Files.

Thank you!

We use the backup file name to implement other features, for example to automatically delete old files, count the number of existing backups, detect the owner (vmid), ...

This would be impossible if we allow arbitrary renames...

How about a rename feature that doesn't actually do a file rename on the file itself, but in the virtual space for that file?

For example each backup could have a config text file for it, where the "virtual filename" could be stored, and the gui could display this with or without the real filename. Not sure if I make any sense, but being able to set a label for a backup seems like a good feature anyways.

Well. I have so many backup files renamed and never got problem with this.

I just use vzdump-qemu-XXXXXXXXXXXXX.vma.lzo (where XXXXXXXXXXXX is the name of I want).

It is working for me without any problems. The only one problem, is to need to login over SSH to rename the file.

I have read in other posts, that we have template option. I'll try to take a look at "templates". I never used templates before!

We use the backup file name to implement other features, for example to automatically delete old files, count the number of existing backups, detect the owner (vmid), ...

This would be impossible if we allow arbitrary renames...
Hi, what I would need for example is that only a part of the backup name to be custom.

For example,
Code:
vzdump-qemu-100-2018_05_21-14_36_53-CUSTOMSTRING.vma.lzo
would be enough for me. I already rename backups from command line and works flawlessly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!