[Feature Request] - Please add

floh8

Jul 27, 2021
I want to summerize some important features user are missing and me too. Points that are mentioned at the roadmap not listed here.

- datastore for cloud backup
- proxmox-backup-client integrated in PBS ISO Boot Debug Mode
- show all backed up files and devices in one list per vm/host/ct
- show the used backup space of all items in the repo for a full-restore - what amount of data will be transfered?
- firewall like in PVE
- InfluxDB/ Grafana Interface like in PVE or similar solution for monitoring the backup status of PVE and Hosts
- fast backup of "many files" container
- retention policy and backup short intervall like 5 min (PVE) for CDP
- show also backupjob from vzdump.cron in the gui where the time code is changed
- add paramter to vzdump that you can choose between file-based and image-based backup of the proxmox-backup-client

Last edited:
+! for the cloud backup request. I tried setting up a AWS storage gateway but PBS is not compatible with the AWS VTL. I can set up a VM with PBS somewhere that mirrors my on-prem PBS server but it would be much more expensive than directly accessing some cloud storage provider.

I've seen people hacking their own solutions together but that can make a disaster recovery very complex.

Last edited:
I would like:
- "proxmox-backup-client" officially available for other o.s. (centos, windows, mac)
- why not having "proxmox-backup-client" officially available for mobile phones, too? (yes, only at files level, I mean)
- more documentation on how the "remote" feature https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html which I think is really powerful and well engineered (kudos)
- ability to add users@pam from the GUI (I am not able, maybe it's just me: I have to do it from console)
- nagios (passive) push plugins to sent pbs status

hi,

in general i'd suggest to make feature request on the bugtracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com) its much easier to
keep track of and discuss those there

- datastore for cloud backup
you could try to sync a datastore with e.g. rclone or something similar (maybe we could integrate that if it works well?)

- proxmox-backup-client integrated in PBS Debug Mode
can make sense, but a separate 'restore' mode of the iso would imho make more sense ? ( so that users can e.g. directly restore to bare metal ?)
maybe with a ui ? (idk how much work that would be)

- show all backed up files and devices in one list per vm/host/ct
what exactly do you mean? in the content view you see the files per snapshot already?

- show the used backup space of all items in the repo for a full-restore - what amount of data will be transfered?
thats not really possible if i understand you correctly. one could calculate the size of all chunks once, but depending on how the data is located on the vm image,
it may not be the size to transfer... ( some blocks will have to be transferred more than once, since the cache is not infinitely large)

what could make sense is the 'sparse' size (without zero block) but 1. it depends on the target storage if it takes time to restore that, 2. the backup server only knows this for not encrypted backups

- firewall like in PVE
mhmm, could you open a feature request on the bugtracker?

- InfluxDB/ Grafana Interface like in PVE or similar solution for monitoring the backup status of PVE and Hosts
maybe, again discussion in the bugtracker would be better

- "proxmox-backup-client" officially available for other o.s. (centos, windows, mac)
- why not having "proxmox-backup-client" officially available for mobile phones, too? (yes, only at files level, I mean)
more clients are on our rader, but not top priority for now

- more documentation on how the "remote" feature https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html which I think is really powerful and well engineered (kudos)
if you have concrete suggestions, please also make a feature/bug request on our bugzilla

- ability to add users@pam from the GUI (I am not able, maybe it's just me: I have to do it from console)
under normal conditions, you'd not need console access for non root activities, thus the 'pbs' realm should be enough
what use case do you have for regularly creating non root pam users?

Reactions: flames and Fra

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!