Feature Request: Pause VMs on Storage Space Deficiency

Pete L.

Jul 15, 2016
VMware ESX has a great feature that pauses VMs when the VM's underlying storage runs out of space (or possibly is dangerously close to doing so). Is there any way for ProxMox to do the same thing?

You can set the 'werror=enospc' drive attribute. This pauses the VM when the storage runs out of space.

Reactions: guletz
I just got around to testing this. I setup a VM with werror=enospc added to the scsi0 string in the config file. I created a qcow2 disk with the disk size > the host volume size. I then ran dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.img status=progress and waited and watched. I also watched the host to see how it was doing. I tested on both NFS and GLUSTERFS storage backends. When the host storage ran out of space, the following happened:

On NFS - VM WAS AUTO-PAUSED - Not reflected in UI as being paused. Only option is "Start", which fails after doing nothing. Needed to unpause using qm resume from the command-line.
On GLUSTERFS - VM CRASHED - Reflected in UI - Needed to restart.​

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!