Feature Request: BackupMode FastStop

taubi

Oct 25, 2012
Linz / Austria
Is it possible to implement such a BackupMode?

via qm send "STOP" to VM
via qm wait for status "STOP"
Make snapshot of VM
via QM send "START" to VM
backup the snapshot via vzdump
destroy snapshot

Pro: complete and consistent image with a short downtime of the vm (i think nearly the same time as a normal restart)

Maybe there are existing scripts to do such a backup? If yes, can someone share such a script please?

with best regards from Linz/Austria

currently the system works with LVM snapshots, creates a consistent backup when the VM/CT is online.

in future, the system can do live backups without LVM (work in progress, KVM only).

I agree that the backup itself will be consistent, but when you have a windows server with a running database on it, the data on the virtual harddisk is not consistent.
The best way to get an consitent state is to shutdown the vm.
To reduce the timeout i want to use a script or so that the vm will be started while the backup is still running.

The only way to get consistent backup of such a vm is to include the ram into the backup.

Maybe this will be done already so a normal snapshot backup will be always consistent.

I agree that the backup itself will be consistent, but when you have a windows server with a running database on it, the data on the virtual harddisk is not consistent.

What kind of database do you talk about? Any database engine supporting transactions will be consistent.

You are wright, a good database should have transaction logs, but windows registry doesn't have it.

So, i think, it will be the best to take a snapshot and a windows system state backup during the week and a stop-mode backup at weekend and maybe a additional full windows backup.

If someone have to be on the safe side, make a database dump and later include it to the windows system state backup.

If a good and uptodate setup-documentation of the VM exist, this should be good enough for backup concept.

And remember: the best backup concept is useless, if a restore concept doesn't exist or this concept has never been checked.

You are wright, a good database should have transaction logs, but windows registry doesn't have it.

Really? They store such important data without transactions? Well, maybe that data is more or less 'read-only' (writes are rare), so this is not a problem?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!