feature request: backup PBS to S3 compatible bucket

proxmoxrks

Apr 14, 2020
Hi Proxmox,
I am new to proxmox and the backup server. Could you add the ability to backup PBS's settings and vzdumps to S3?

1) PBS allows user to set a S3 compatible bucket.

2) PBS allows user to backup to the bucket
a) PBS's settings/configs
b) PBS's VZDumps

3) PBS can auto or manually sync to the bucket after a backup is completed
4) PBS can restore from a bucket, i.e. configs and VZDumps

This allow a user to perform complete backup and restore to/from S3 compatible bucket.

Thanks.

Reactions: dimi
I'm just starting to play with PBS now to evaluate a subscription and I would also like to see this on the roadmap. Would like emphasise s3 compatible (so that third party services like backblaze b2 could be used too).

I'm imagining this would work like a local sync (to a 127.0.0.1 'remote') that was actually a cloud storage location. Take backups to the local direct attached storage and then during a suitable time sync the differentials up to the cloud location. We've been doing something similar with B2 and duplicacy for full images but would like to get the benefits of the differential/incremental VM backups from PBS.

I tried to jerry-rig this with backblaze B2 and S3FS FUSE but it choked on copying up the .chunks directories (left it overnight - don't know if thats specifically a b2 issue).

Happy to put in a bug request.

edit: here it is: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3177

Last edited:
Reactions: devilkin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!