[SOLVED] Faster way to stop/out/destroy OSDs?

bensode

Jan 9, 2019
Harrisburg, PA
Good morning. In playing with Proxmox v6 I added 100 OSDs in an integrated ceph deployment that I'd like to remove and redeploy differently. I can run systemctl stop ceph-osd@270 ceph-osd@269 ... etc to stop them all and can also run ceph osd out osd.270 osd.269 ... etc to mark them as out quickly from console. However, when I destroy the osds from console with ceph osd destroy osd.270 --yes-i-really-mean-it they still remain in the gui with a status Destroyed / Out. If I have to click through 99 OSD destructions I'm ok with if I must, but how do I get the one OSD I destroyed from the console out of the OSD display -- and, if possible, is there a better way to accomplish mass removing OSDs by script? Thanks in advance!

1567684419405.png

Think I found my answer ... ceph osd purge osd.270 --yes-i-really-mean-it ran and removed it from the display.

1567687423815.png

Please let me know if this is not a good way to handle mass removal of OSDs or if there is a preferred method - be it GUI one at a time or otherwise. Thanks!

ceph osd out osd.XXX
systemctl stop ceph-osd@XXX
pveceph osd destroy XXX

(edited to correct steps above)

Last edited:
Please use our tooling (pveceph) for this, it takes care of the removal from ceph. You just need to set them as out and stop them. Then you can destroy them through our tooling.

Reactions: Syrrys and bensode

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!