Fairly high CPU load after passing through USB serial device

Loredo

Feb 21, 2012
Munich
Hi folks,

I'm running Proxmox VE 3.3 on my home server (Intel NUC i5) with very high satisfaction :D

I had to connect a USB serial dongle device to one of my virtual KVM hosts so I added "usb0: host=2-4" to it's configuration file as stated in the Wiki.
It's working fine in general.
However, CPU load is now 20-30% so I guess the interrupts caused by the USB passthrough is fairly high.

Is there any way to bring it down? The USB device is actually a fairly low performance device, only a few bits via serial command.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Julian

Now that I wasn't able to find any solution, I removed the USB dongle from the virtual machine and installed it's software on the Proxmox host instance itself. Not a good solution, but it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!