[SOLVED] Failed to start networking when starting

eyen

Jan 20, 2020
Hi,

I have a fresh install of Proxmox 6.1.
I have two NIC's: one on the motherboard and one 10G card. The 10G card has no network cables attached.
When I start the system, there is no networking. The two NIC's are detected, but no IP's are assigned (`ip addr`).

Simply restarting the networking service creates the vmbr0 bridge and then I get network activity.

This is the content of my /etc/network/interfaces file:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp5s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.67
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
bridge_ports enp5s0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
These are the errors from the networking and the ifupdown-pre services:
networking.service - Raise network interfaces
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:interfaces(5)

Jan 20 13:08:36 pve systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Raise network interfaces.
Jan 20 13:08:36 pve systemd[1]: networking.service: Job networking.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

● ifupdown-pre.service - Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ifupdown-pre.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-01-20 13:46:46 PST; 5min ago
Main PID: 928 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 20 13:44:46 pve systemd[1]: Starting Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown...
Jan 20 13:46:46 pve systemd[1]: ifupdown-pre.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 20 13:46:46 pve systemd[1]: ifupdown-pre.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 20 13:46:46 pve systemd[1]: Failed to start Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown.

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Eric

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!