Factory reset

nostro37

Jan 17, 2023
Hello All,

I literally just want to factory reset this freaking system. I didn't install it while hooked up to the internet, so now I've spent the past week trying to get this thing to have internet access. I've redone the IP, and gateway, then when I finally got the GUI to work. Even then I tried to adjust the servername address I lost the web GUI. I literally just want to factory reset or get this program off my computer so I can give it the benefit of the doubt and install it properly. If I can't even do that then I'll admit maybe proxmox isn't for beginners but shouldn't it at least have a way to start again from scratch so people can learn to use it in a sandbox? Wouldn't you want your product to have easy start again so it can have easy adoption and learning curve?

He
What holds you off from a simple reinstallation?
I did that and started from scratch. However, I am still having trouble connecting to the internet. It has to be the way the DNS is set up but messing with that last time is why I had to install it from scratch again. Once I lost the web interface, I couldn't get it back, no matter what I changed on the CLI. I think it's DNS: I can ping 8.8.8.8, but I can't ping google.com. I also get the following error when I attempt to download an ISO using a link:

invalid server response: '500 Can't connect to releases.ubuntu.com:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)' (500)

I have my cat /etc/network/interfaces

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.07.43 PM.png

I have my cat /etc/resolv.conf

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.11.16 PM.png

and my /etc/network/interfaces

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.07.43 PM.png

This is week 2, install/setup attempt TWO the last time around, I had to reset everything, and I gave proxmox the benefit of the doubt because I screwed up by not having the server plugged into the internet, but this time I did have everything plugged in. I did an automated setup, I have NO switches, NO extra routers, NOTHING. I plugged the nic from the router from my ISP into the computer that I have proxmox on then did a fresh install. I can access it from the web interface but when I try to get the ubuntu ISO it errors out and when I try to ping a website I get an error:

My goals are simple:
1) install promox
2) learn to use promox
3) branch out into other IT as I need and grow my abilities.

I have my cat /etc/resolv.conf

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.11.16 PM.png

127.0.0.1 is your PVE-host.

If we assume, that your router also provides a DNS-server, exchange: 127.0.0.1 with: 192.168.1.1 or otherwise with a public one like: 8.8.8.8 or: 1.1.1.1, for example.

Last edited:
127.0.0.1 is your PVE-host.

If we assume, that your router also provides a DNS-server, exchange: 127.0.0.1 with: 192.168.1.1 or otherwise with a public one like: 8.8.8.8 or: 1.1.1.1, for example.
Would that mean I have to change Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 3.31.02 PM.png localhost as well or just the nameserver on /etc/resolv.conf?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.11.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 12.11.46 PM.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 9

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!