Facing issues installing the build dependencies for building the pve kernel (current head of master branch)

sodaws

Apr 2, 2021
Hey,
due to iommu grouping issues for some platforms described here, I want to build the latest kernel with a modified patch. I did this successfully in January with the method described here, wich is based on the instructions from the pve-common readme, which the developer wiki page links to. However, some things seem to have changed, which make this method work no longer. I'm stuck at installing the build dependencies.
Compared to the method linked above, I tried to do this on the latest Proxmox 8.0-2 iso installer version and added the bookworm repo instead of the bullseye one to my sources (deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm pvetest , wiki).

Like the pve-common readme recommends, I installed devscrips and then tried to run mk-build-deps --install debian/control.in to install the dependencies for building the kernel. This fails unfortunately.
The error is this (I left out the formatting warnings):
Code:
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package unknown
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version unknown
dpkg-buildpackage: error: version number does not start with digit
Error in the build process: exit status 255
dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'proxmox-kernel-@KVMAJMIN@-build-deps_1.0_all.deb': No such file or directory
mk-build-deps: dpkg --unpack failed

For some reason the placeholder @KVMAJMIN@ is not replaced with the right value when running the command above. The issue is due to this commit, which changes some things in the control.in.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to building the pve kernel. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!