Extremely slow NIC

nexusband

Jan 27, 2020
Hi,

I have a few Windows Servers running, which are using the NIC on the machine "to the fullest", meaning if there is no other VM using the Network, they use the full 1 Gbit link. They can also use the full 550/50 Mbit internet connection.

However, i've recently set up a Nextcloud on an Ubuntu machine and noticed that it's "capped" at 173 Mbit/s and 3,5 Mbit Upload...Download wouldn't be much of an issue, but Upload is a bit too slow. First i thought it may be a config issue, but after some fiddling around with the VirtIO Settings (ethtool does not show any info about the connection, btw) and ethtool (turning off flow control and other various things a quick google search found) i was wondering if Proxmox itself can use "more" - which it can't.

Proxmox on the CLI is also capped at the same 173 Mbit/s and 3,5 Mbit Upload. Has this something to do with the Bridge running in the background?
Also, is it possible to directly route a NIC-Port (the Server has two ports) to the machine?

speedtest-cli and iperf (different servers on the internet) - same on the Proxmox Hypervisor directly, speedtest-cli and iperf. iperf shows a bit higher results, but still no where near...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!