Extremely High Server Load

stnd

Nov 28, 2021
Since I reinstalled to version 8 every once in a while my server load will go up like crazy and server will become half responsive. Wondering if anyone knows how I could trouble shoot this. CPU usage is not high. Just load.

load average: 160.77, 161.06, 160.83

1706829944167.png

On one of my LXCs the samba service seems to fail. This was not happening before the upgrade and it is the same LXC and configuration as before. Wonder if that has something to do with it.

1706830788048.png

Top works, htop doesnt work, ps aux hangs and doesn't work. I have since restarted the pve node, but really want to figure this out. CPU usage was very low. Somehow the samba server dying has to be connected.

What typically happens when a VM or LXC runs out of memory. Can it affect the whole hypervisor or should only that VM/LXC hang/fail.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!