external usb device and ballooning fails to start

valshare

Jun 2, 2009
Germany
Hi,

today i have updated a server to use ballooning, but it fails to start. If i disable ballooning or delete the args parameter for the external usb device, it works.

Is there a chance to get working both, ballooning and the external usb device?

if i fire up the machine, i get an error:

Code:
root@proxmox01:/var/lib/vz/images# qm start 500
kvm: -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3: PCI: slot 3 function 0 not available for virtio-balloon-pci, in use by usb-ehci
kvm: -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3: Device 'virtio-balloon-pci' could not be initialized
start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 500 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/500.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/500.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/500.pid -daemonize -name SBS2011 -smp 'sockets=1,cores=4' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on' -vga std -no-hpet -k de -m 8192 -device 'usb-ehci,id=ehci' -device 'usb-host,bus=ehci.0,hostbus=1,hostaddr=9' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -chardev 'tty,id=serial0,path=/dev/ttyS0' -device 'isa-serial,chardev=serial0' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/500/vm-500-disk-2.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio1,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio1,id=virtio1,bus=pci.0,addr=0xb' -drive 'file=/mnt/pve/backup-nas/template/iso/virtio-win-0.1-59.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/500/vm-500-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=101' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap500i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=7A:45:29:90:30:A7,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard'' failed: exit code 1

the config, that works with proxmox 2.2:

Code:
args: -device usb-ehci,id=ehci -device usb-host,bus=ehci.0,hostbus=1,hostaddr=9
serial0: /dev/ttyS0
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
ide2: none,media=cdrom
keyboard: de
memory: 8192
name: SBS2011
net0: virtio=7A:45:29:90:30:A7,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
sockets: 1
startup: down=600
virtio0: local:500/vm-500-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=140G
virtio1: local:500/vm-500-disk-2.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=100G

Thanx, Valle

Yes, you should use the 'usb0' configuration option instead of 'args', something like:

usb0: host=1-9

see 'man vm.conf' for details.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!