External IP not detected when using bridge network

dridhas

Aug 11, 2022
Hello All,

Im in the process of moving my current setup to a new server.

New server is an HP DL360P G8.

some issues ive found is when trying to add the pci device to a vm, which kills the NIC (with 4 ports) completely.

As a workaround, i can use the bridge network to get them working, so far no issues.

Only thing is that if i try to use the vmbr1 (attached to one of the NIC ports), the external IP address from my ISP is not detected.

can anyone help sharing some light on this setup?

These are the network devices:
1660240741875.png

These are the network bridges assigned to the VM (pfsense)
1660240798436.png

This is how it shows inside the VM:
1660240881654.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
some issues ive found is when trying to add the pci device to a vm, which kills the NIC (with 4 ports) completely.
you should check your IOMMU groups, the pci device could be in the same group as the NIC

Only thing is that if i try to use the vmbr1 (attached to one of the NIC ports), the external IP address from my ISP is not detected.
is eno1 considered 'UP' on the proxmox host? is the WAN interface 'UP' on the VM?

try restarting networking on the host (make a non-critical network change in the host GUI like changing the auto-start status of an unused port then click Apply)

you should check your IOMMU groups, the pci device could be in the same group as the NIC
The issue here might be related to having 1 NIC with 4 ports.

is eno1 considered 'UP' on the proxmox host? is the WAN interface 'UP' on the VM?
This is what its showing in the GUI:
1660254707860.png

I made some changes:
i plugged in the Cable from the modem to one of the Nic ports, reconfigured the interfaces, and now I'm getting this:
1660254834855.png

silly question but, assuming you are using the ISP modem, did you restart the modem before connecting it to vmbr1/eno1?

silly question but, assuming you are using the ISP modem, did you restart the modem before connecting it to vmbr1/eno1?
i certainly did... i was having issues getting an ip address for my computer until i restarted the modem, but even then... i was getting 0.0.0.0/8 as an ipaddress.

so what happens if you plug your laptop/desktop into the modem .... what dhcp address does that get?

did you test this or is that your assumption?
i did test and can confirm.

now, what i did a few ago was connecting a single cable to the cablemodem and then the other end to port1 on the proxmox server.
restarted the cablemodem a couple of times and after 2 or 3 reboots i was able to see the ISP ip on the bridge network.

This is the way i have it setup for opnsense vm:
1660315034546.png

now, im not sure if i need to add the "firewall=1", but at least i was able to see the ip... :)

So a couple reboots with removal of the vmbr1 proxmox firewall and it's working now? If vmbr1 is opnsense wan and not otherwise used in proxmox then a firewall in front of the opnsense firewall is a bit redundant and unnecessary.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!