External CEPH mixed SSD/HDD

martijnk

May 4, 2020
Hello,

I have an external CEPH cluster connected to Proxmox which consists of 3 nodes with Intel NVMe disks only. The cluster is connected to the Proxmox hypervisors with 40 GBit LACP infiniband cards and the storage performs really well.

However, I need some option to store bulk data. So I was just thinking of buying 3 more nodes with 3.5" disks (current nodes can do 2.5" only) and add those to the CEPH cluster. So I will then end up with 3 nodes SSD-Only, 3 nodes HDD-Only.

My issue is though, how do I optimize this for Proxmox? Can I make it so that everything always reads/writes to the SSD nodes only and later to the HDD nodes? What's the best option performance-wise? I don't know where the data lands, people could store pictures or there could be a MySQL database and I can't work with hard mounting points to specific pools.

Thanks in advance!

In general storage definitions are by pool in Proxmox VE. How you setup the pools on Ceph's side is not known by Proxmox VE nor does it need to.

Easiest and most stable solution is to have two different pools.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!