External and internal SMTP port

ofh

Jan 6, 2006
Hi
I still hope to setup proxmox and Novell Groupwise.(No succes yet !)
To try to understand your terms in the manual, i ask this question:

What is the difference between "External" and "Internal" SMTP port ??

Please explain the difference.

When the Proxmox only have one IP-address, how is it possible to listen on 2 different ports (25&26).

Or have I totaly misunderstood all ?!

Best regards
Ole Friis Heesgaard

ofh said:
Hi
I still hope to setup proxmox and Novell Groupwise.(No succes yet !)
To try to understand your terms in the manual, i ask this question:

What is the difference between "External" and "Internal" SMTP port ??

Hi,

on the external port, proxmox receives e-mails from the internet. on the internal port proxmox receives outgoing e-mails from your internal mail server (review the smarthost settings)

by using different ports, we know if the e-mail comes from internal or external and we can apply our filtering technology. for example, it makes no sense to do greylisting or SPF checks on internal e-mails.

martin

Port 25 on both External and Internal

Thanks for reply (have read the reply long time ago).
I have one more question.
What wil happen if I use port 25 for both External and Internal :?:

To add to a spin to this...

(Sorry if this sounds simple)
If Im using an internal Exchange box but will not be relaying messages from it through Proxmox out to the internet, I should not need to change the SMTP port on it. Does this sound correct? I have other servers which are using Exchange to relay proprietary messages out to customers and changing the port may prove difficult as they are hard-coded in at least one instance.

Thanks again.

Poggy said:
To add to a spin to this...

(Sorry if this sounds simple)
If Im using an internal Exchange box but will not be relaying messages from it through Proxmox out to the internet, I should not need to change the SMTP port on it. Does this sound correct? I have other servers which are using Exchange to relay proprietary messages out to customers and changing the port may prove difficult as they are hard-coded in at least one instance.

Thanks again.

hi,
if you do not want to send outgoing messages through proxmox, you do not have to change your exchange settings.

keep in mind, you will not get statistics, outgoing virusscanning, disclaimers, etc.

you can reconfigure your other systems also to use proxmox as outgoing smtp if you want.

regards,
martin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!