Extending LVM - HowTo?

iPanini

Mar 30, 2019
Hello fellow Proxmoxers,

A couple of months ago I set up my first Proxmox system. At the time I had some issues a one of the hard drives that I used was failing from day one. (It has been replaced under warranty)
The drives are Toshiba 8 TB NAS drives.
Anyway, today I find that I'm running low on storage, so I want to add a new extra drive.
It is only after adding the new (3rd) drive that I realize that the first 2 drive don't seem to be configured as a LVM.
At least, in my understanding an LVM consisting of 2 identical drives, depending on your choice during set-up, can span the 2 drives, thus creating a storage that is the sum of the 2 drive (approximately).

Now my questions:
Can I extend my LVM with the newly added 3rd drive?
Can I make changes in such a way that my 3 drives will form my LVM, and be approx. the size of the 3 drives summed together (3x 8TB = LVM = 24 TB)?
Can this be done using the Proxmox GUI or do I need to do this using the CLI?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachments

• Proxmox - Disks.png
    Proxmox - Disks.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Proxmox - LVM.png
    Proxmox - LVM.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 6
Can I extend my LVM with the newly added 3rd drive?

Yes

Can I make changes in such a way that my 3 drives will form my LVM, and be approx. the size of the 3 drives summed together (3x 8TB = LVM = 24 TB)?

Yes

Can this be done using the Proxmox GUI or do I need to do this using the CLI?

Use CLI; assuming your new drive is seen as /dev/sdc and you want to add it to current volume group group1 run:

Code:
pvcreate /dev/sdc
vgextend group2 /dev/sdc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!