Extend "Masquerading (NAT) with iptables" documentation? (IPv6)

koalillo

Nov 1, 2018
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#sysadmin_network_masquerading

I'm currently using this setup because my hosting provider gives me a single IPv4 address, so I have to set up masquerading.

I'm setting up a new Proxmox host, and I'm considering adding IPv6 configuration from the outset. I'd like to preserve my current functionality (internal network, where I have set up DHCP/DNS fully with dnsmasq, and have site-to-site VPNs), but add specific Proxmox VMs or LXC containers with a public IPv6 address.

Is there any supported procedure to do this?

To clarify, I'd like for hosts (LXC/VMs) to live both in an internal IPv4 network, with masquerading/NAT to access IPv4 Internet, and to get an IPv6 address from the range that my hosting provider gives me (a /64), so they are on the public IPv6 Internet.

Ideally, this should continue with my previous setup of having automatic configuration of addresses, and automatically adding the addresses to DNS.

dnsmasq seems to have some IPv6 support, so I think I'll continue playing with that.

Sorry, no, not really. I got my new server, but it's sitting idle costing me money :)

I suspect I might push this down the road. I wanted to do this before moving in any service there, so if I mess up with things, the downtime doesn't matter... but I'm beginning to think I'll skip IPv6 in this iteration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!