[SOLVED] Extend LVM (shared storage)

RogerSik

Jan 17, 2019
Hello,

I created with lvm a volume group over fibre channel and added it over the webinterface into Proxmox Storage. It is working fine.

Only problem is i don't get the storage extended. I extended the volume on the storage from 1tb to 4tb.

Code:
# lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/mapper/san-ext4-part1
 skip_dev_dir: Couldn't split up device name san-ext4-part1.
 "/dev/mapper/san-ext4-part1": Invalid path for Logical Volume.
 Run `lvextend --help' for more information.

If you want to resize the storage (FC-LUN, on top of which you have a LVM - volume group) - you need to resize the physical volume with `pvresize` (man pvresize) `lvextend` is used to resize logical volume (the vm-disks) inside a volumegroup

after resizing the lun on your storage-appliance:
* check `dmesg` - the kernel needs to recognize the size change
* check `lsblk`, whether you have a partition-table on the LUN
** if yes -you need to resize the partition, before doing `pveresize`
* run `pvresize`

Thanks @Stoiko. With gdisk I could resize the disk and then complete with pvresize.

Glad the resize went smoothly! Please mark the Thread as Solved - so that other users know what to expect. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!