Ext4 data corruption in stable kernels

n0x0n

Jan 20, 2022
Yesterday evening, a grave issue was found in stable kernels. Can someone please confirm which pve-kernels are affected?

From Debian micronews:
Due to an issue in ext4 with data corruption in kernel 6.1.64-1, we are pausing the 12.3 image release for today while we attend to fixes. Please do not update any systems at this time, we urge caution for users with UnattendedUpgrades configured. Please see bug# 1057843: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1057843

Additional Info from https://lwn.net/Articles/954285/
- Stable kernels < 6.5 are affected if they have 91562895f803 (ext4 commit)
- Kernels >= 6.5 are not affected, as they will _also_ have 936e114a245b6 (iomap commit)

I know that pve-kernel is based on Ubuntu kernels, but I'm not unable to verify, which versions of pve-kernel contain the iomap commit "fixing" the issue.

PS: pve-kernel 6.5.11-7 contains the fix for the ther (ZFS-) data corruption bug. TY @proxmox-team :)

[Clarification: I am NOT a Proxmox staff]

After digging proxmox's mirror ubuntu kernel codebase in their git codebase, I guess we didn't effect by this bug.

In their codebase, I noticed a few versions with the "Proxmox-" prefix, which I believe are the versions they used for their own patches:
- Proxmox-6.5.11-2 (code) (latest tag)
- Proxmox-6.5.11-1 (code)
- Proxmox-6.5.3-1 (code)
- Proxmox-6.2.16.3 (code) (is PVE 8.0.3 in my cluster)

It appears that the issue commit (91562895f803) has not been merged into these versions yet.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!