Exposed SMTP Relay

chz87

Apr 29, 2017
Hello,

i have stupid question. i want to run PMG in the following configuration and i didn't find any advise how to configure this.

Internet <-> external SMTP Relay Provider (Internet) <-> PMG (Selfhost) <-> Mailsever (Selfhost)
my SMTP Relay provider is called Selfhost.de
they prodive the following tutorial to configure postfix

relayhost = [mail.selfhost.de]
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/smtp_auth
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous

create file /etc/postfix/smtp_auth Ihre selfhost-Mailspace in the following format

mail.selfhost.de USER:pASS

afterward run postmap smtp_auth

can some one advise or give me a hint how i manage to use the PMG in this way
Thanks in advance

Hi,

first of all, that would not provide

Internet <-> external SMTP Relay Provider (Internet) <-> PMG (Selfhost) <-> Mailsever (Selfhost)

but

Internet <- external SMTP Relay Provider (Internet) <- PMG (Selfhost) <- Mailsever (Selfhost)

as far as way don't provide you also the other way. For the other way, they need to provide you the possibility to relay incoming mails to your PMG and then you need to set up your PMG also to relay mails to your mailserver after spam check.

For outgoing, you are required to set this up via shell, as PMG allows an outgoing smarthost, but no outgoing smart"account" requiring credentials. So you need to check the documentation on how to copy the main.cf template and then need to adjust as written above. Then you need to configure your mailserver to relay outgoing mails to PMG via port 26.

Regards,
Christian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!