exporting proxmox VM so can try using ubuntu / kvm

Neil Duffy

Jan 24, 2018
Hi,

Does anyone know if this possible?

I have a Windows 7 server running under Proxmox that I'd like to preserve all I've done (which would be a backup / restore), but not sure what I'd need for KVM using qemu to be able to run the same VM.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Neil

Hey Neil,

Assuming you want to restore the VM to the same or a different KVM machine you would have to do the following.

vzdump <vmid>
#move the dump to where it needs to go
qmrestore <path to backed up image> <new vmid>

Here are the steps I took recently to move a VM to a new cluster.

Code:
vzdump 157 -dumpdir /var/lib/vz/dump/
scp /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-157-2017_12_03-07_26_55.vma root@newvm:~
#log onto newvm
qmrestore vzdump-qemu-157-2017_12_03-07_26_55.vma 101

This dumps the VM with the ID of 157 to a directory, allows us to copy it somewhere. Then you can use qmrestore to restore the qemu image and get it right back into a qemu machine as it doesn't have to be proxmox.

Last edited:
As far as I understood @Neil Duffy, he wants to import in plain QEmu, not Proxmox VE KVM, so in addition to @Derek Rasmussen's answer, you have to unpack the backup file via

Code:
vma extract

which yields a RAW file and a PVE configuration. Best would be to start the VM on Proxmox VE and extract the complete command line via

Code:
ps aux | grep <vmid>

Afterwards it'll most probably work on a plain QEmu machine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!