"Export" ZFS Pool as iSCSI Target for Cluster Storage

MAgno Santos

Jun 20, 2019
Hello Everyone,

First of all, amazing job with Proxmox VE. It's an amazing solution and Manager.
I have been using it for my Home environment and i'm trying to convince management at my company to use it as a solution for FailOver Cluster.

To implement it, i have 2x Dell R710 LFF that I would like to use as a SAN for 2x Dell R720 (which would be the Hosts). I like the idea of using ZFS as the background Pool and here comes my question. What would be the best Solution?

a) Creating the ZFS in Proxmox and present it as a iSCSI Target through Freenas or OpenMediaVault (with a created virtual disk on that ZFS Pool)?
b) Present the Disk or event the PCIe HBA Controller to Freenas or OpenMediaVault and then create the ZFS?
c) Use directly Freenas has host system (i like the idea of having proxmox to easily backup the guest OS).
d) Is there any other direct solution (being Proxmox Debian based) which would be "cleaner"?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if I didn't use the correct ZFS terminology (still learning).

Best regards,

Magno Santos

Hi,

I would use FreeNas Barematle on the R710 and enjoy the GUI.
You can use the "ZFS over ISCSI" in the Proxmox VE GUI to integrate it.

With Proxmox VE storage way you have to configure everything manually.
Proxmox VE is an "Virtual Enviorment" and no storage box ;-)

The Virtual FreeNas scenario brings no benefit and makes the system bigger and more complex.

Reactions: MAgno Santos

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!