Export/Import VM into Proxmox

m4rk

Nov 14, 2019
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your support.

I'm starting using Proxmox few days ago so I have little knowledge about it
I configured a virtual machine with O.S. and all settings I need and now I would need to export it creating a template (or backup) to use on other Proxmox environment.

I tried using "backup" and it created a vmname.vma.gz file.
When I tried to upload this file into another Proxmox console, it shown an error saying that the file extension was not correct (only tar.gz allowed).

So I created a vmname.vma.tar.gz file and I uploaded it using "Container Template" as "Content" souce (see image attached).
In this way it finished correctly but then I wasn't able to click "Restore" (grey button).

All works properly using the SSH console but I would like to find a easy way to export and import vm images in different Proxmox environment (also using different versions).

Could you help me please?

Thank you very much,

Marco

Attachments

• Proxmox_upload.PNG
    Proxmox_upload.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi.
You install and configure VM with OS and you want to use this VM on another Proxmox server ?
if yes, you can backup this VM on Share and mount this share another Proxmox server and restore this VM.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I would like to backup a VM, export the backup, import the backup to another Proxmox environment and create the vm using that backup. All this using only the web console (not SSH one).

Thanks a lot

Marco

How i can!
I have share directory(NFS Share) for backup all VM.
Connect this share folder via web interface all server proxmox. Datacenter - Storage - Add NFS and connect.
And touch NFS directory, choose backup VM (which is needed) and click Restore
Look my screen
Sorry my eng, I try to lern

2019-11-14_15-50-08.png

Hi,

Thanks for your excellent explanation but I need to export the backup and then provide it to different Customers so I can't use share folder.
I would need a solution for provide to my Customers a backup (or image) that they can import into their Proxmox and use it to create the virtual machine.

I'll wait your answer.

Thanks a lot

Marco

You can mount Flash drive or external HDD and mount this device.
copy backup VM to Flash or external HDD.

Hi,

I would need to provide the faster and easier way to deploy a vm using my vm backup because some customers are not very skilled.
So, as did with Vmware and Hyper-v, I would like to create a export/import process using the web console.

Is it possibile?

Thanks a lot

Marco

Hi,

So the only available solution consist of importing the vmname.vma.gz (or directly the vmname.vma) into a Proxmox Datastore and then use the "Restore" GUI button to load the backup and create the vm?

Thanks

Marco

Hello,

Ok perfect, thank you very much for all your support.

I wish you a very nice day,
Best regards,

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!