[SOLVED] Expand zfs pool without loosing data

ioanv

Dec 11, 2014
Hi all

I've installed a PBS server to test the features and I've used 3 x 2TB drives in a RAID5 configuration.
Everything went OK so I've decided to also test failed drives and I've replaced each drive one by one with 3 x 6TB drives resilvering in between.

Is there a way to expand the existing pool in order to use the additional space?

Thanks

Kind regards
Vlad

Last edited:
Reactions: Bran-Ko
Ideally, this should have been set=on before resilvering the last 6TB drive. You may get away with doing a zpool export/zpool import to trigger the resize

Ideally, this should have been set=on before resilvering the last 6TB drive. You may get away with doing a zpool export/zpool import to trigger the resize
Nope, export and import did not do the job.

From man zpool:
Code:
     zpool online [-e] pool device...
             Brings the specified physical device online.  This command is not applicable to spares.

-e      Expand the device to use all available space.  If the device is part of a mirror or raidz then all devices must be expanded before the new space will
                     become available to the pool.

Also, perhaps posting your zpool status and zpool list -v can be helpful, because you speak about raid5

Last edited:
From man zpool:
Code:
     zpool online [-e] pool device...
             Brings the specified physical device online.  This command is not applicable to spares.

-e      Expand the device to use all available space.  If the device is part of a mirror or raidz then all devices must be expanded before the new space will
                     become available to the pool.
Also, perhaps posting your zpool status can be helpful, because you speak about raid5
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Here is the output:

root@proxbackup:~# zpool status
pool: zfsbkp
state: ONLINE
scan: resilvered 1.53T in 0 days 04:05:44 with 0 errors on Mon Mar 22 19:57:49 2021
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
zfsbkp ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-ST6000NM021A-2R7101_WRG06H4D ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-ST6000NM021A-2R7101_WRG06FF7 ONLINE 0 0 0
ata-ST6000NM021A-2R7101_WRG06H45 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

well your last 2 options would be

zpool online -e

or detach and re-attach/resilver the last drive after making sure the autoexpand property is definitely on

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!