Excluding disk from snapshots?

Pinochet

Member
May 16, 2022
10
0
21
I'm needing to provide each of my docker apps with there own storage that is independent of the root fs so that if I update the OS that's running docker and take a snapshot of it the docker storage isn't affected. Rolling forward or backwards in snapshots would end up causing issues with the data for said docker apps. I don't use snapshot for the data anyways and rely on actual backups. But, I would like to take snaps of the OS before and after updates.

I started with a linux container and was attaching disks to it, one disk per docker app which allows me to segregate and has many benefits to this. I can also use the proxmox management tools and expand said disk latter which is awesome since I can start off small and expand as needed. But, there's no way to exclude these disk from the root disk other than passing them in raw which avoids the snapshot issues but I lose the simple management capabilities. A VM is the same thing, I thought you could exclude in a VM but it's not the case or I don't see that option.

I also need to provide some NFS mounts for remote apps which I can export from a container or vm with attaching virtual disk to it but I can't have snapshots on these disk for obvious reasons. I was going to use openmedia vault in a VM to attach VD/s and carve those disk into nfs storage mounts. The problems with this is that if I use raw disk I can't expand them, right? Right now with just normal disk I can hotplug disk and OMV picks it up, I can expand it on the proxmox side and OMV shows the expansion in the disk. If I use raw disk I loose this.

I remember being able to do this in vmware which was great with vsan, I could just attach virtual disk from the array and be able to manage the disk and move it as needed. Is there anyway to do this in proxmox or is this on the radar for the future?

Thanks, have a great day.
 
Thanks! I'll just try to use the backup feature and uncheck all but the root disk. I just tried this and it restored fine, however my disk that were unchecked came back after the restore as unused and raw. I recheck and unchecked again the "backup" option for each disk and they show normal now and are mounted and still have a filesystem on them on the OMV side. Since those filed bug post go back years I assume this isn't a bug and won't be resolved?

Would moving the storage off the pve allow more control? I always thought a proxmox "storage server" would be a Ideal drop in for QuantaStor and the like and would allow a more sophisticated storage solution for pve in the enterprise. The backup server would be a good foundation since it's already got a lot of zfs magic built in. I'm trying to learn more about the proxmox storage capabilities to to see if it can replace the vsan, quantaStor with it's ceph abilities and maybe with fibre the block storage from netapp. A lot of us are running from vmware so it's a step learning curve.

Thank you for your help, have a great day.