Exchange 2013 VM freezes

Oct 23, 2020
Hi guys! I have a specific problem with Exchange 2013 cluster. 1 of 2 (only one VM) freezes periodically. In PVE I can see, that VM works, but console, RDP, ping don't work. Helps only restarting VM.
This is techspec of PVE and host. For information, I use 6 nodes in cluster
techspec_PVE.JPG

Can you show us the config of the VM?

Code:
qm config <vmid>

Can you show us the config of the VM?

Code:
qm config <vmid>
agent: 1 bootdisk: ide1 cores: 4 ide0: VNX02_16TB01_vg:vm-152-disk-1,size=750G ide1: VNX02_16TB01_vg:vm-152-disk-0,size=250G ide2: none,media=cdrom ide3: VNX02_16TB01_vg:vm-152-disk-2,size=500G memory: 32768 name: e2k13dag.domain.local net0: virtio=0E:25*********:D2,bridge=vmbr0,tag=38 numa: 0 ostype: win8 scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci smbios1: uuid=850dba50-0017-4804-8f10-3992ac5f25bd sockets: 2 vmgenid: c659632e-cc62-4c74-8120-7be810f44568

Last edited:
You could try to change the disks from IDE to SCSI or Virtio. For Windows though you first need to install the drivers and attach a small dummy disk with that bus type before you change the other disks. The procedure is explained at the bottom of that PVE wiki page.

Also, don't forget to adjust the boot order in the VM options!

You could try to change the disks from IDE to SCSI or Virtio. For Windows though you first need to install the drivers and attach a small dummy disk with that bus type before you change the other disks. The procedure is explained at the bottom of that PVE wiki page.

Also, don't forget to adjust the boot order in the VM options!
I've found resolution.
Firstly, Windows 2012 Server w IDE works normally.
Secondly, my datastore, where backups are located, started disc check, so latency was very big (~700ms), so PBS freezes VM, and cant unfreeze. But I don't know why is happened only w 1 VM, else works fine

Do the other VMs that did not freeze, also use the IDE bus for their disks?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!