excessive use of ram in vm ubuntu 18.04

ONE FOTON

Jun 30, 2017
Argentina, Cordoba
Hi everyone!
is this normal?
ubuntu 18.png
it is only on ubuntu is not running anything
is there any special setup that needs to be done on a linux kvm guest?

orientation, all orientation will be well received!
regards

Hi!

I mean, it can be normal, I have an ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME desktop not running really any program hovering a 4 GiB of 6 GiB available.. If you also have a desktop environment in the VM that could be the cause.

What's the VM's memory usage from inside the VM?
Check the free -h command in the VMs console/terminal.

If that's also high you could look for the processes actually using a lot of memory with:
top -b -E m -o +%MEM | head -15

I mean, it can be normal, I have an ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME desktop not running really any program hovering a 4 GiB of 6 GiB available.. If you also have a desktop environment in the VM that could be the cause.

Albeit, the biggest chunk of that memory is used by the page cache - which is a buffer to make filesystem much faster by using memory not used by any other process, the free -h command will show you that (buff/cache column)

if I don't enable it, I don't get overloaded by the guest ram.
but if the CPU overloads me! :mad:
that you need more memory with KVM enabled makes no sense..

Start to post the info I requested, you give the VM 4GiB it can use up to 4GiB, it's as simple as that.

well here are the required data
Captura de pantalla de 2020-04-10 14-53-19.png

how can the use be improved a lot ... after several fixes.
1- add more ram
2-modify various aspects of the hardware
Captura de pantalla de 2020-04-10 15-10-13.png
3-in the guest install
open-vm-tools, open-vm-tools-desktop, cloud-guest-utils, qemu-guest-agent.
Here I would appreciate your opinion because I think there are several packages that are not necessary, so!
4-and finally the options
Captura de pantalla de 2020-04-10 15-11-54.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!