Every hour backup is very CPU-expensive

Sasha

Oct 18, 2018
Kazahstan
Hi, guys.
Is this the robust approach to run backup on lxc-container every 1 hour?

I have 2 containers, but backing up to PBS number 101 (~10G) very expensive! In the same time backing up number 102 (~25G) looks suitable.
Please help me to figure out that! Where to dig?

Несохранённое изображение 6.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
the Proxmox Backup Client will have to read and chunk the full data on each backup run, I suspect that this is the reason why you see the high CPU load. You could try to reduce the number of max-workers in the vzdump performace configuration as described here https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#vzdump_configuration to reduce load.

Another approach would be to utilize a VM with dirty-bitmap tracking, which is much better in backup performance, since only dirty blocks have to be backed up.

There is ongoing work to improve the performance for container and host backups in the future, see https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pbs-devel/2023-November/007059.html

Reactions: Sasha
Appreciate for advices!
Anyway, would You clarify for novice, is hourly (half-hourly) backup job (PVE GUI section Datacenter-Backup) for container a robust approach to have a close-to-production back up?

Last edited:
The lxc-container that needs to be backed up as often as possible has compressed PVE's vzdump file about 11G.
The same container reported by PBS in datastore content as 58G size.
I mead that i don't need all production every hour backup. Just one sensitive container with changing database.

Last edited:
The lxc-container that needs to be backed up as often as possible has compressed PVE's vzdump file about 11G.
The same container reported by PBS in datastore content as 58G size.
I mead that i don't need all production every hour backup. Just one sensitive container with changing database.
oh sorry, what I mean is are those data are very critical that you have to back it up every hour?

oh sorry, what I mean is are those data are very critical that you have to back it up every hour?
As i said it's a lxc-container containing database. Every night back up is not so suitable (but useful of course)
So to be honest i don't know any other way (besides PBS) to save all changes of database hourly...

And You?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!