Errors with backing up

cbharis

May 1, 2024
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to using Proxmox and please forgive me if this is straight forward.

I was running version Proxmox v8.1 and had everything backed up just fine. I made some config errors and really botched things up. (I backed up before I made the changed)
I needed to install Proxmox from scratch (easiest for me since I had backups and again, am fairly new to Proxmox) So I noticed that there was a new version so I opted to install/upgrad to 8.2.2. I was able to get everything back up and running just fine and have setup a schedule to backup my VMs every night.

However, after restoring I currently have some LEX containers that will not back up properly. I am backing up to a NFS share on my Synology NAS.

I have several other VMs that will back up fine to the same NFS share. So I'm confused as to why certain VMs will error out.

Here is one such output from one of the LXEs.

failed waiting for client: timed out TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /vms/200 --perm VM.Console -- /usr/bin/dtach -A /var/run/dtach/vzctlconsole200 -r winch -z lxc-console -n 200 -e -1' failed: exit code 1

-----

Here is another error message from a different container

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 100 --notification-mode auto --storage SynologyNFS --node CcS-lab1 --remove 0 --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --compress zstd --mode stop INFO: Starting Backup of VM 100 (lxc) INFO: Backup started at 2024-04-30 18:57:33 INFO: status = stopped INFO: backup mode: stop INFO: ionice priority: 7 INFO: CT Name: cloudflared INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup INFO: creating vzdump archive '/mnt/pve/SynologyNFS/dump/vzdump-lxc-100-2024_04_30-18_57_33.tar.zst' INFO: tar: /mnt/pve/SynologyNFS/dump/vzdump-lxc-100-2024_04_30-18_57_33.tmp: Cannot open: Permission denied INFO: tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - command 'set -o pipefail && lxc-usernsexec -m u:0:100000:65536 -m g:0:100000:65536 -- tar cpf - --totals --one-file-system -p --sparse --numeric-owner --acls --xattrs '--xattrs-include=user.*' '--xattrs-include=security.capability' '--warning=no-file-ignored' '--warning=no-xattr-write' --one-file-system '--warning=no-file-ignored' '--directory=/mnt/pve/SynologyNFS/dump/vzdump-lxc-100-2024_04_30-18_57_33.tmp' ./etc/vzdump/pct.conf ./etc/vzdump/pct.fw '--directory=/mnt/vzsnap0' --no-anchored '--exclude=lost+found' --anchored '--exclude=./tmp/?*' '--exclude=./var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=./var/run/?*.pid' ./ | zstd '--threads=1' >/mnt/pve/SynologyNFS/dump/vzdump-lxc-100-2024_04_30-18_57_33.tar.dat' failed: exit code 2 INFO: Failed at 2024-04-30 18:57:33 INFO: Backup job finished with errors INFO: notified via target `mail-to-root` TASK ERROR: job errors

I can see on this one is says it has "permission denied" but am unclear as to why it's denied by this container however, I can back up others.

Can anyone tell me why these will not backup properly.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply!

I went and created a SBM/Cifs mount and it's all working fine again.

Thanks so much for your time!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!